[OM] Re: Free OM-to-E-System adapter?!

Subject: [OM] Re: Free OM-to-E-System adapter?!
From: Tim Hughes <timhughes@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 16:55:09 -0800 (PST)
Winsor wrote : I don't think CCD vs. CMOS makes any difference as far lens
performance is concerned.

 Winsor,
    There may be differences in the sense that the metalization layer and
filter layers on the chip surface, may make the sensors deeper into the bottom
of a "well"
for one technology versus another. So the color fringing near sensor edge and
the
light drop off could theoretically be a bit worse for the technology with
deeper wells.
This is also true for different sensor area fill factors, although most sensors
seem to have
similar fill factors of the order of 50-60%.  An interesting aside somebody
made at a
talk I attended, was that although lensed chips increase sensitivity, the on
chip lenses do
not work well for very fast lenses, causing increased light dropoff, so the
super fast
lenses have an effective slower maximum aperture than you might expect from
marked
F-stop.  This is classic Murphy's law : When you really need the low
noise/speed of your
sensor and lens at low light levels, you don't get it.  Obviously you can still
use dof
characteristics of  the faster aperture.

 The CMOS Foveon sensor should theoretically be much better in regards to
using non-digital lenses as the wells  are much shallower and the sensor area
is at least 3
imes larger per pixel, dramatically reducing the bottom of the well effects.

 Regards,
 Tim Hughes