Re: [OM] well said, Skip...

Subject: Re: [OM] well said, Skip...
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Dec 2003 21:57:10 -0800 (PST)
Skip wrote:
>Yes, I sent some film to Ken for processing and somewhere
>between NJ and Iowa it got X-Ray'ed, which increased the
>background by about one stop.  Interestingly enough, another
>set of rolls sent the exact same day to Arizona had no damage.
>This leads me to believe that it's somewhere outside of NJ,
>since all my mail goes through Newark.  Or I was the
>unfortunate recipiant of a random x-ray

I had a brief "sit-down" with my postmaster about this.  We
calculated that it was one, or a combination, of the following:

-Newark center nuking in/out first class mail.
-Chicago center nuking in/out first class mail.
-Airline baggage X-ray damage for the transit between Newark and
Chicago or Chicago and DesMoines.

We suspect that this particular shipment MAY have been damaged
by the airlines.  Of course, the postmaster will blame somebody
else.

Now, how extensive was the damage?  Compared to a "control" roll
processed at the same time, the film was damaged, yet usuable.
Test prints showed that even the D400 pushed to 1600 was
acceptable with additional contrast control.  If I was fine-art
printing anything off of it, I would use split-grade printing.
Scanning and "photoshoping" is a non-issue, except for a
grainier scan.

That said,

The apparent "grain-structure" was altered.  Skip's rolls of
Delta 100 looked more like Plus-X or FP-5.  Not the normal
creamy look you expect with D100.  It wasn't my chemistry,
because my own rolls of film processed simultaneously were OK.
There was no apparent increase in base-fog, but the emulsion was
noticably coarser than what I'm accustomed to seeing.

The Delta 400 (shot and processed at 400) had the same
grain-altered effect, but had a noticable base fog.  The roll of
Delta 400 pushed to 1600 had at least a Zone II base fog.  At
least there was shadow detail!

Yes, these rolls exhibited all the standard traits of X-Ray
damage, such as sprocket holes, increase in density and the
classic--film exposed outside the sprocket holes for the first
part of the roll.

AG Schnozz