Re: [OM] 24mm and polariser

Subject: Re: [OM] 24mm and polariser
From: whunter <whunterjr@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 11:54:00 -0500
Most manufacturers (Hoya included I believe) offer a specific model designated 'thin mount'. Have not compared the actual performance / specifications, but believe the designation 'thin mount' to be somewhat arbitrary, i.e. in the eyes of the beholder. Check a couple of online catalogues and you can glean a perspective. I use a couple of B + W, but not sure these are more 'thin' than others offered. Can supply URLs for filter catalogues, info, if needed. While I understand the basic optics involved, lack a genuine academic knowledge as to the engineering challenges in the design of the 'thin mount'. Suspect it is both an edge problem from the height or extension of an ordinary filter mount PLUS aberrations from thickness of the glass when used with WA lenses. (i.e. There are two issues not necessarily linked.) Pragmatic knowledge would help to evaluate the option oft cited of a much larger filter size of ordinary construction with an adapter ring. This approach does not address problems of glass thickness IF an important consideration. Perhaps someone can supply an URL to an astute review.
Bill