Re: [OM] OT Movies, TV and the USA

Subject: Re: [OM] OT Movies, TV and the USA
From: "Alienspecimen" <alienspecimen@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 20:14:56 -0500 (EST)
Cc:
>BTW What did Thomas More do that might have offended the king?

Sir Thomas Moore...I am glad you asked.
He is one of the greatest man ever lived.  He was beheaded, because he would
not swear an oath accepting King Henry VIII as Supreme Head of the Church.
"The King's good servant, but God's first" along with the ones at the bottom of
this mail are supposed to be his last words before his execution.
He is most noted for his "Utopia" a social satire (I look at it more as a book
of Ethics).  I agree with him on most fundamental issues, except one: He
believes that humans are not naturally good, while me believes the opposite.
In my opinion human "sinfulness" is a product of the social injustices
prominent in primitive oppressive societies (such as the ones ran by big
corporations and thugs...:)and humans given the right kind of environment
(manure in Moose's terms), would strive toward perfection (goodness...:)
I have read the book several times, but never the last chapter, which deals
with religion.  One day I might find the courage to read it.  I recommend it to
the intelectual types on this list...
Hope this helps
Boris

This hath not offended the king.