Re: [OM] Building a photography library

Subject: Re: [OM] Building a photography library
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2003 15:15:16 -0700
At 04:42 PM 12/5/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>Wow an actual on-topic post!
>
>I'm working on building up more of a photography library and I'm wondering
>what books the list members would rate as "must haves"?

[snip]

Besides the ones you mentioned in your list, I'd put in the following:

1. The Ilford Manual of Photography, latest edition (no author)

   - this book was actually discontinued many years ago, but is chock-full of
information that's still quite useful.  My copy's from Focal Press (I think all
the editions were), is actually entitled "The Manual of Photography (formerly
The Ilford Manual of Photography)," and is the 6th edition, dated September
1973.  Used copies come up from time-to-time on evilBay.

2. The Focal Encyclopedia of Photography, latest edition: Zakia, Richard, and
Leslie Stroebel

   - mine's the 3rd edition, published 1993.  Thus, there's only the most
elementary coverage of digital and digital manipulation, but it's still good.
This one's a goldmine.  Amazon doesn't list a more recent edition, but one may
be in the works.

There's a couple of others (Ilford put out their B&W one a while ago), but
these two are monumental, in my opinion.  The Encyclopedia includes entries on
astrophotography from a former List member.

Garth