Re: [OM] OM Pin-hole photography problem - help!

Subject: Re: [OM] OM Pin-hole photography problem - help!
From: andrew fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 13:54:35 +1100
I decided to try pin-hole photography with my OMs recently... I bought a body cap with a drilled piece of stainless steel in the center. When I tried it out on my -4T, I expected a pretty long "open shutter" time, given the f/stop is on the order of 180 or so. To my surprise, almost every exposure I tried clicked off at about 12-14 seconds, regardless of what I pointed the camera at. Is there something I'm missing? Is there some tab or coupling pin on the back of the OM lenses that enables OTF metering - the modified lens cap obviously does nothing except engage the three bayonet lugs... Any suggestions on what I can do to make this work? I'm thinking about trying a short extension tube between the body and the cap...

Any thoughts or guidance will be appreciated!

Curt

I have one that works at 'one sunny minute' but that is on 8x10 paper! (ISO 6). You didn't mention film speed or hole size. 'drilled stainless steel' sounds pretty crude (compared to blackened silver-coated brass with hand rubbed pinhole). Perhaps expecting the camera's auto to cope is being a tad optimistic. Get a cheap film and do some really serious bracketing! You really should expect to get to know your hole :), use a meter and do some calculating. You may need to blacken the hole as well to cut reflection - natually deposited lamp black rather than paint which could block or distort the hole. An extension tube probably won't make much difference to exposure times but it will change the focal length to more of a telephoto view. A useful idea. It's all about experimentation - there are lots of rules but 'suck-it-and-see' is the best approach at first.
AndrewF