Re: [OM] OT - Audiophile help please

Subject: Re: [OM] OT - Audiophile help please
From: Donald Shedrick <shedridc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 15:33:08 -0800 (PST)
You have a resonance issue related to the mass of the tone arm in
relation to the compliance of the cartridge.  Some combinations are
just not compatible.  Grado cartridges are known for this if
mismatched with the tone arm (if matched, they are magical).  Since
you are not likely to want to mount a different tone arm, you need to
try a different cartridge with a different compliance.  You could
tape some small weight to the tone arm head (about a gram or two),
rebalance the tone arm, and you will probably see and hear a
difference.

--- Mickey  Trageser <Gad-Zuiks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Sorry for the off topic here. Please reply off list.
>
> I have a Phillips GA 212 electronic turntable. Original owner. I
> recently
> replaced the tired cartridge so I could sample some of my favorite
> LPs to CD
> for enjoyment on the road. I've noticed that the audio improvement
> is all I
> had hoped, but the tone arm has the jitters which translates into
> flutter.
> Very noticable with violins. I've got the cartridge mounted to
> spec, and the
> tone arm balanced properly. The anti skate is also where it ought
> to be.  Is
> there something below deck that would cause this unsteadiness of
> the the
> tone arm assembly?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> -Mickey