Re: [OM] Re: OT now Coke, mutating to chemistry and etc...

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: OT now Coke, mutating to chemistry and etc...
From: "R. Jackson" <jackson.robert.r@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2003 00:22:18 -0800
I've found over the last couple of years that my semester depends a lot on how carefully I pick my instructors. This semester is pretty much a wash. I have one instructor that I hold in pretty high esteem and a handful of windbags who want me to "creatively" tell them what they want to hear. It runs the range, though. I feel like the last couple of years have taught me a lot. I come front-loaded with 20 years of video and still photography experience that frequently tells me when someone is teaching from the text or teaching from experience. Being enthusiastic about what I'm doing has bought me a lot of breaks. For the first two years I was shooting a lot of Super-8 and I had instructors cleaning out storage rooms so they could scrounge up 20-year-old old Ektacolor sound cartridges for me to trade to people shooting sound for fresh reversal stock. Instructors have given me all kinds of old Super-8 equipment that's been sitting around since the program migrated to Mini-DV. It kind of feels like summer camp or something from time to time. I've tried to work with the same people a lot and we've all become pretty tight-knit about our goofy little movies. Now we're getting ready to shoot our first 16mm stuff and we're all feeling like Welles or something. "16mm 'scope with Dolby A optical? Why if we shoot Kodachrome that's practically a Technicolor extravaganza, isn't it?" ;-)