Re: [OM] Re: OT now Coke, mutating to chemistry and etc...

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: OT now Coke, mutating to chemistry and etc...
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 12:08:40 -0800
on 11/27/03 10:16 PM, Joshua Putnam at josh@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Jim Couch wrote:
>
>> According to some of my customers, Coke in some places in Europe (France
>> for one) is still made with real sugar.
>
> If I remember correctly, Coke is made with sugar almost everywhere on
> Earth other than the U.S., where sugar prices are artificially inflated
> by federal agricultural support programs (production limits, import
> restrictions, etc.)

Not only that the sugar prices are kept artificially high, mostly for
political reasons e.g. embargo on trade with Cuba, but also that the
corn-producing states have pretty powerful lobbys too. We in California are
soon to be treated to getting ethanol in our gas, just when we are getting
the MTBE out, due to political pressure. The CARB and the refiners say they
can produce clean-burning gas -without- ethanol, but the feds won't allow us
to do that, mostly for the benefit of the corn-producing states... the
market is *not* at work here.

> The same is true for many brands of chocolate, they're formulated
> differently where there's free trade in sugar than they are in the U.S.
> market.

A co-worker (back when I was joyfully employed...) used to always buy the
Mexico-produced sodas at the taqueria we went to for lunch. When I asked he
explained that these sodas were made with 'real sugar' and tasted better...
and they did taste different to me. As I recall, "Jolt Cola" also used
(uses?) 'real sugar' in their product. I flunked Chemistry, but isn't the
term 'sugar' more of a blanket callout for a range of formulas, like
'alcohol' covers more than one chemical formula and 'hydrocarbon' covers a
whole bunch of burning and exploding fun stuff...?
--

Jim Brokaw
OM-'s of all sorts, and no OM-oney...