Re: [OM] Bad processing rant!

Subject: Re: [OM] Bad processing rant!
From: Charles Sdunek <charles@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 17:07:52 -0500

B. D. Colen wrote:

There's only one thing I find somewhat puzzling about this story -
tragic and typical as it is:
I assume that you're world class photographer - but even so, how can you
possibly have 100 images out of a total of 108 (3 rolls of 36) worth
scanning, much less printing? Perhaps six out of three rolls; maybe 12 -
or being really generous, an assuming six keepers per roll, 18. But 100?
Wow!

I think this would very much depend on the subject matter, the situation and the intent. I have many time had entire rolls of beautiful photos, because they were taken in conditions where it was nearly impossible not to have a beautiful photograph.. I have also had many occasions when the entire roll was very valuable not for the quality of the photos but for the content of the photos. In a normal situation I probably have 3 or 4 photos per roll that I really like. I'd like to claim a much higher number, but I can't. However, when the lab screws up a persons film, like the dozen rolls of Kodachrome from my last photographic expedition with my father which the lab did me the favor of processing E-6, it matters not whether the entire set were perfect or crap, only that you no longer have them.

Charles