Re: [OM] Bad processing rant!

Subject: Re: [OM] Bad processing rant!
From: "Walt Wayman" <hiwayman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 16:09:52 -0500
I shot some Fuji NPH this past weekend.  This morning I took the
film to a neighborhood store, the name of which I will not
mention, where previously I had gotten really good one-hour
processing and printing.  The establishment has an almost new Fuji
Frontier machine, and each time I had been there previously, a
cordial, 40-something gentleman, who gave every appearance of
being competent and actually caring about what he was doing, was
in charge.

This morning, he was not there.  Instead, against my better
judgment, I left my three perfectly exposed and composed 36-exp.
rolls in the custody of a 20-something, tattooed, spike-haired,
metal-headed dufus whom I had to ask to repeat everything he said
at least once because English appeared to be just too complicated
and too much trouble for him to speak both audibly and
intelligibly all at the same time.

I knew right then and there, as well as I sometimes know my own
name, that I was making a big mistake and should turn around and
leave.  But I was there already, and anyway, aren't these machines
supposed to be damn near foolproof?  Besides, my wife tells me I
need to stop being so judgmental about people based on their
appearance.  Just wait till she gets home!

When I picked up the prints, this vaguely humanoid creature told
me they were "all really clear."  Now, was that another clue or
what?  When I got home and sat down with a cold MGD to look at
them, I was reminded yet again why I shoot trannies 90 percent of
the time.  Every print, without exception, was washed out, roughly
the equivalent in tranny terms of two stops overexposed.
Fortunately, the  negatives are okay.  At least he got them in the
sleeves without mangling them, which is really about all that's
keeping him alive right now.

I would take them back to have them reprinted, but I have no real
hope that the results will be any better.  Besides, I don't want
him even touching the negatives again, and I'm not sure I could
behave well enough to avoid my wife having to come post bail for
me later, in which event I would lose my edge in the "you can't
judge people by how they look" argument, which she started a few
years ago when I proclaimed that it was my opinion that anyone
over the age of 12 wearing a baseball cap backwards is a moron.

There are other dead giveaways, too, but they're too numerous to
mention, and I don't have time right now since Ive got over 100
negatives to scan.  And one of them may be my TOPE 16.  It better
not be scratched!  :-(

Walt

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists
elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact
us." -- Hobbes