Re: [OM] OT - Camouflage Paint ?

Subject: Re: [OM] OT - Camouflage Paint ?
From: "Lama-Jim L'Hommedieu" <lamadoo@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 13:45:40 -0500
Hi Bill,
When you say you're photograping shore birds, does that mean your tripod legs
are set into a salt-water marsh?  You're not putting
the tripod legs into tumbling surf (as others have guessed), right?  When you
lift your tripod out of the muck, the end caps will
stay with the tubing because you've glued the end caps with the correct PVC
cement, right?

Anyway, since the PVC tube is not air-tight and is not laying on the surface of
water, it will not have any boyancy at all.  None.

IMO, there's nothing destablizing about surrounding the leg with a sleeve
(other than the terminus is a rounded pvc cap rather than
a pointed tripod leg.  It sounds like there's so much weight involved that the
legs are not going to lift up out of the marsh!)

I'd suggest roughing up the surface of the pvc tube so paint can bite, then
spraying on automotive primer, in primer grey.  From
there you can get as complicated as you want with camo patterns.  If you stick
with automotive paint, you should be able to just
hose it off at a car wash on the way home.

Lama
PS, your post arrived here in rich text format.

From: Bill Barber
photographs of birds, some of which are shore birds and taking ones tripods
into the salt water will ruin it in short order.  I've
made some tubes out of 1 1/2 inch PVC pipe and end caps to slide over the
tripod legs and keep them dry.  It is a pretty close fit
that is secured at the top with duct tape (in this case, perhaps duck tape).
They need to be some color other than white.  I had
thought either sand or camouflage.  Any ideas?