Re: [OM] Control pack charging

Subject: Re: [OM] Control pack charging
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 09:33:24 -0500 (EST)
On Tue, 28 Oct 2003, Frank van Lindert wrote:

Frank,

> But IMHO the implication of this is, that connecting ANY power source
> to the motor drive (e.g. a 16 volt battery, without any current
> limiter at all!) would not only provide energy operate it but also at
> the same time charge the NiCad pack continously. Would that indeed be
> true?

Officially the relay cords are designed to connect *only* to the Control
Grip or M.AC Control Box, not the Ni-Cd Pack.  I suspect there is some
circuitry present in those two units to limit the current.  If the relay
cord is connected to the Ni-Cd Pack and a power source is present, it
will indeed both charge the pack and operate the drive.  I suspect that's
why Olympus doesn't recommend using it with the Ni-Cd Pack.  That and the
fact that the cord falls off the Ni-Cd Pack very easily.
                                -mark