Re: [OM] thinking of trading ONE OM1n for a compact RF.. ideas?

Subject: Re: [OM] thinking of trading ONE OM1n for a compact RF.. ideas?
From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 07:40:47 -0300

> > One thing to note is that a lot of the older compact RFs have relatively
> > dim viewfinders which have gotten worse with age. At the very least you
> > will probably want to have a CLA done for this reason alone.
>
> ok so that takes the rollei out, leaving really, the RD and SP olys.
> comments on those? I won't bother getting an rf unless it's had a CLA, my
> gear had it two years ago.

I wouldn't rule out the 35RC, as it is still my favorite. But you should be
able to get one in excellent shape for about $50 to $70. I've taken the tops
off a couple of my 35 RC's lately, and cleaned what of the finder windows I
could get at. It certainly did make for some improvement. I also soldered in
a diode in one of them a few days ago, but it seems to be off now about 1/3
to 2/3's stop, so it looks as though I'll have to compensate with the asa
setting, or take the diode out again. This is testing it against several
other cameras at the 100ASA setting. The best option is the original mercury
battery, but I have only one left. Using a 1.4v hearing aid battery was more
accurate in my experience, but they have a short life.
You might also look at the Yashic@ GSN with 45/1.7 lens, as they were very
common and often go cheap on the auction site. A 6v volt battery can be
easily adapted with a bit of rolled up aluminum foil, and works perfectly
and safely in them. I have a GSN that is absolutely in like new condition,
with case, that I got for less than $30. But I really never use it, not
because it doesn't take excellent sharp pictures, but because, well, it's
not olympus :-) Also, it is has no manual setting, and who wants their
pictures to come out perfectly all the time? :-)
Wayne