Re: [OM] thinking of trading ONE OM1n for a compact RF.. ideas?

Subject: Re: [OM] thinking of trading ONE OM1n for a compact RF.. ideas?
From: Jim Couch <jamesbcouch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 12:41:06 -0700

Jim Brokaw wrote:

Rollei-35 is very good, but quite expensive and the best lens is only f2.8
Sonnar (though very high quality!). Rollei-35 can also be kind of quirky to
use, although very compact and it does offer a full range of shutter speeds.

I will echo Jim's comments on the Rollei and emphasize that handling is very different than anything else out there. Siddiq, if you are finding that the handling of the Olympus is causing you to miss shots, I have feeling that you will be disappointed with the Rollei as it is a 'little fiddley' in use. (As a friend of mine once put it.) That being said it is very compact, super quite, and very inconspicuous. I like mine a lot, but it is not for everybody.

One thing to note is that a lot of the older compact RFs have relatively dim viewfinders which have gotten worse with age. At the very least you will probably want to have a CLA done for this reason alone.

Jim Couch