Re: [OM] E-1 lenses resolution vs. conventional lenses - fact or hype?

Subject: Re: [OM] E-1 lenses resolution vs. conventional lenses - fact or hype?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 18:34:37 -0700
I rather suspect such an idea may hvae been considered, but I don't think it is realistic. The rate of change in the electronic components means that the max design pixel count will likely be reached in less time than that of the design cycle of a series of high quality lenses. My guess is that much of the delay in the introduction of the E-1 was due to the electronic parts changing so fast that it was hard to nail down a design.

Moose

Joe Gwinn wrote:

But to be a bit cynical, it would make sense to come out with lenses matched to
the current 5 Mpixel camera body, and then come out with a far better (more
smaller pixels) in a few years, with the corresponding great-advance-in-the-art
lens to match.  Then we the faithful get to generate a cashflow for many years
to come.  The trick is to get the cost of initial entry down, to get us all
slightly pregnant.