Re: [OM] E-1 lenses resolution vs. conventional lenses - fact or hype?

Subject: Re: [OM] E-1 lenses resolution vs. conventional lenses - fact or hype?
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 14:39:43 -0700
on 10/10/03 10:48 AM, ll.clark@xxxxxxxxxxx at ll.clark@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> In <v04220802bbac52871e42@[192.168.1.100]>, on 10/10/03
> at 08:32 AM, Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@xxxxxxxxxxx> said:
>
>> Simply put, there are not enough of us Zuiks to matter in a photo market
>> where the least significant digit is 100,000 cameras sold, and the
>> internal debate at Olympus on production of an OM-E1 adapter probably
>> turns on the likely profitability of such an adapter were it offered, and
>> not on any possible effect on the larger market for the E1.
>
> I sometimes wonder whether in these discussions there is ever a sense that
> they owe something to long-term enthusiasts of the marque, even if
> producing that adapter is done whilst earning little or no profit for the
> item?
>
> For that matter, is there *any* corporation that shows evidence of that
> sense any more? Perhaps small businesses...
>
> --
> les clark / edgewater, nj / usa

Les, its all business. About the closest you'll see to this sort of
'heritage customer service' thinking is a decision to keep spare parts
available longer than is 'usual' in business (where the minimal inventory
costs will make the decision).  As a big business with profits to make and
report and shareholders and Wall Street to satisfy, I don't think you'll see
Olympus selling -anything- that can't be reported as profitable (unless its
for some market-penetration reason).

For a long time Honda motorcycle parts have been available, new, from Honda,
for motorcycles 30 years old and even older... The availability has been
reduced in the last couple years, but its still much better than for old GM
cars, for instance. The legend is that Mr. Honda (RIP) wanted it that way,
so it was that way, at least while he was alive.
--

Jim Brokaw
OM-'s of all sorts, and no OM-oney...