Re: [OM] Repro ratios, was Fame at last - perhaps ;-)

Subject: Re: [OM] Repro ratios, was Fame at last - perhaps ;-)
From: Fernando Gonzalez Gentile <fgnzalez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2003 00:43:26 -0300
on 5/10/2003 20:14, Moose at olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Sounds like asking for trouble to me, both mechanically and optically.
Yes it sounds so, but that's what I have.

> You can get a really good macro like the
> Tamron/Tokina/Vivitar/90/2.5/2.8s or Kiron 105/2.8 for about the same
> price as a 65-116 and get something optically designed for the purpose.
You're kidding ;-). I paid $50 for a new 65~116, then I bought John its
tripod collar...

> Even the cheap little Cosina/Vivitar/Phoenix/?? 100/3.5 macro will give
> much better macro performance than a high ratio zoom not designed for
> close-up performance hung on an extension tube,.
Could be certainly so, but those cheap lenses are not easy to find here.
Should buy at B&H...
In fact, its the OM 2 and the tube hanging from the zoom. And it doesn't
bend if you're careful enough.

> It is faster, much
> sharper, and, although the 100/3.5 has a fair amount of pincushion
> distortion, it probably has less linear distortion than the zoom/tube combo.
How do I test linear distortion? Please, on a normal picture - not shooting
a sheet of paper...

> The Zuiko 50/3.5 is also an excellent macro lens available at reasonable
> prices. I don't like it for nature shooting because of the short working
> distance and rather poor bokeh.
Agree, and wouldnt mind a poor bokeh since almost always one must stop down
and down.

> The combo you ask about is sort of like using a tire/tyre pump as a leaf
> blower, a mismatch of design capability and use. It'll do the job, but a
> considerable price in convenience and results.
LOL :-)

So far results have not disappointed me.

Thanks for answering.

Fernando