Re: [OM] Repro ratios, was Fame at last - perhaps ;-)

Subject: Re: [OM] Repro ratios, was Fame at last - perhaps ;-)
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 05 Oct 2003 16:14:43 -0700
Sounds like asking for trouble to me, both mechanically and optically. You can get a really good macro like the Tamron/Tokina/Vivitar/90/2.5/2.8s or Kiron 105/2.8 for about the same price as a 65-116 and get something optically designed for the purpose. Even the cheap little Cosina/Vivitar/Phoenix/?? 100/3.5 macro will give much better macro performance than a high ratio zoom not designed for close-up performance hung on an extension tube,. It is faster, much sharper, and, although the 100/3.5 has a fair amount of pincushion distortion, it probably has less linear distortion than the zoom/tube combo.

The Zuiko 50/3.5 is also an excellent macro lens available at reasonable prices. I don't like it for nature shooting because of the short working distance and rather poor bokeh.

The combo you ask about is sort of like using a tire/tyre pump as a leaf blower, a mismatch of design capability and use. It'll do the job, but a considerable price in convenience and results.

Moose

Fernando Gonzalez Gentile wrote:

Hi Moose,

While we're at it, what do you think of coupling the 85~250/5 to a 65~116mm.
Any experience anyone? I realize its a rather awkward combo, but apart from
that...