Re: [OM] New E-1

Subject: Re: [OM] New E-1
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 19:42:58 -0700
on 9/19/03 2:39 PM, W Shumaker at om4t@xxxxxxxx wrote:

> Note that noise is most often measured on a flat gray area. Many noise
> reduction schemes can be done to flat areas of tone. Consider what Neat
> Image can do. What would really be telling is if all the cameras could
> be measured for noise before any processing. This would tell you what
> the real sensor and electronics are capable of, rather than what
> tradeoffs were made between sharpening, noise reduction, etc. Noise in
> the presence of detail is more interesting. How to measure, I'm not sure.
>
> Wayne

Would the basis noise level be evident in a 'raw' file...? Most of the newer
prosumer-grade digicams seem to be offering ability to save in 'raw' format,
would this be available for inspection without processing out the noise
information, perhaps in Photoshop? Would a good test be to image a gray
card, then examine the 'raw' file that results for any non-gray pixels in
the gray area? Gross count or 'noise bits' percentage could be figured.
--

Jim Brokaw
OM-'s of all sorts, and no OM-oney...