Re: [OM] New E-1

Subject: Re: [OM] New E-1
From: Skip Williams <om@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 10:39:56 -0500
My question is whether the OM lenses are further away from the film/sensor
plane in an E-1 vs. the OM-System.  If so, then the introduction of a simple
lens element will certainly degrade the fine performance of the OM Zuiko's.  If
not, then they will offer the same functionality as the Canon, Nikon, Fuji, or
Kodak DSLR's where you can use Manual focus lenses.

IMO, this marketing, technicaly-laced, mumbo-jumbo bulls*it from Olympus
America is insulting.  Either they're going to make an adapter and allow use of
the older lenses, or they're not.  Yes, I know that the light-ray parallelism
of the Zuiko Digital lenses will likely improve their performance with the E1
vs older lense.  But you can't tell me that they will be ahead of the Canon L
series lenses, which were designed for film; I just won't believe it.

Yes, the new lenses are certainly better integrated into the E-System, with
digital communications between lens and body, etc.  Duh!  I wouldn't expect any
type of integration between the OM Zuiko's and the E-1 except the mount and
perhaps an external lever to stop the lenses down to shooting aperture.  This
upcoming "white paper" will likely be nothing except marketing hype in the
guise of a technology paper.  It will talk about the lens' features, their
parallelism, and how they're designed with the body in mind.  It will have lots
of graphs, the Japanese like those, like MTF's, and diagrams about sensor shape
and light rays.  But in the end, it's still the same BS that we on this list
heard from OA about 2 years ago when they released that lame PowerPoint slide
show on why OM lenses couldn't be used on a digital camera.  Remember?

Still-fuming-and-getting-madder-at-OA,

Skip

Please reply to [skipwilliams at pobox.com]
Direct responses to the email address on the header may get lost