Re: [OM] New E-1

Subject: Re: [OM] New E-1
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 13:04:16 -0700
Skip Williams wrote:

My question is whether the OM lenses are further away from the film/sensor
plane in an E-1 vs. the OM-System.

I thought it was already determined that a corrector lens would be required.

If so, then the introduction of a simple lens element will certainly degrade
the fine performance of the OM Zuiko's.

Why must it be a simple lens? Some of the most popular cross mount converters are available not only with single lenses, but with MC 2 element conversion lenses. The Cult Classic pages quote a test done by Herb Keppler that shows relatively limited degradation from a single element converter at <http://medfmt.8k.com/bronmounts.html#opto>. It points out something I had forgotten since I last read it, a converter loses a bit of speed.

 If not, then they will offer the same functionality as the Canon, Nikon, Fuji,
or Kodak DSLR's where you can use Manual focus lenses.

The cheaper Nikons and the Fujis do not support any kind of metering at all with MF lenses, none. You need a separate meter. The Canons (don't know about the 300D for sure), Kodak and top Nikon do support it. One of the more exciting things about Oly's (OA vs. Japan?) on again, off again struggle with whether to offer an adapter is that it indicates that the E-1 almost certainly will support stop down metering with OM lenses on an adapter.

Does anybody know if the 300D supports stop down metering with manual lenses? I hope that isn't one of the functions that were 'dumbed down" so it would kill 10D sales. Just in case the E-1 adapter business doesn't pan out.

Moose