Re: [OM] OM-2S + OM-3 anyone?

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-2S + OM-3 anyone?
From: Michael and Elizabeth <moc63@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 12:23:09 +1000
Buying from OS sellers and then shipping to Australia is not a big problem.
To ship to OZ from the US, Canada, UK, Hong Kong is almost the same as
buying from within Australia.  Items with a value less than Aust $300.00
will almost always arrive without any duty payable.  If payment is made with
a credit card it is a simple transaction.  Paypal is probably the easiest
but is the most expensive.  Sending cash in a registered letter is fairly
safe to the UK, US and Canada. I have done this many times and have never
lost the money.

I have found that most Ebay sellers, if asked, will post to OZ.  I think
that the Ebay default setting is to the country of origin and most sellers
dont realise this until asked.  It only takes a few seconds to "ask the
seller a question."

Shipping charges from the above countries are also not excessive, except for
the UK.  Items from Germany also have  high postal costs.  A small book
valued at Euro 9 cost me Euro12  to post to Sydney.

The most expensive postal charges I have ever seen are parcels from New
Zealand to Australia.  It just across the road but do they know how to
charge.  I was told that it because NZ Post  has privatised their parcel
division and it now handled by UDL.  All parcels are hand delivered and they
all go through customs, no exceptions.  I have been stung twice now and NZ
is off my list.  I don't even look.

As for Olympus America not accepting credit card payments from outside the
US.  I have asked them to accept my visa payment from OZ and they have not
rejected it outright but want do some checking with my bank.  I will know
next week.

My experiences over the last few years have only been positive.  I find
99.90f people are genuine, honest and reliable. Common sense is a great
asset.  If a deal seems to good to be true it probably is, so stay away.

Michael.