[OM] Re: Big RAM

Subject: [OM] Re: Big RAM
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2003 08:15:27 -0700
(Was "colour prints." Let's try to keep the Subject "Big RAM" so folks who
aren't interested can easily delete.)

>From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>I expected it is easy to get a 1024MB DDR RAM today (or yesterday), 4 slots
>is 4GB or I'm missing something?

I guess it is I who is "missing something." I did a couple searches for PC3200
RAM, and didn't find anything greater than 512MB. Since several people have
referred to them, I guess I've got to look better.

I'm wondering what technology that is, though. Generally RAM capacities go up
by squares of two -- the next step up from 512MB should be 2GB. My guess is
these "1GB" DIMMs are simply putting 512 megibit chips on both sides of the
board.

>BTW, are you sure you get $130/GB?

Well, a bit more, including shipping. The best price I found for 512MB was $65
each, without shipping. I think that was a DealRAM.com.

--
: Jan Steinman -- nature Transography(TM): <http://www.Bytesmiths.com>
: HTML email goes right in the trash! Turn off HTML if you want to email me.