[OT][MP3]Re: mp3 was Re: [OM] negative films, minilabs, etc.........

Subject: [OT][MP3]Re: mp3 was Re: [OM] negative films, minilabs, etc.........
From: "Jon Mitchell" <jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 22:20:21 +0100
> > Live music and vinal/mpeg3
>
> I'm 22. I still buy vinyl whenever the option is available, but this is
> more for reasons of visual taste, rather than CD vs. Vinyl.  That's
> something I'm not even going to weigh in on - that's an equine corpse that
> doesn't need to be hit.

Flog that horse.  You will be preaching to the (mostly) converted though.
Something about analogue audio and analogue cameras .... (and guns too, but
that one definitely shouldn't be touched on in your first post ;-) !!)

A friend of mine upgraded his hi-fi by purchasing a 3,000 GBP CD Player.  I
bought a 250 GBP turntable, and a 100GBP phono-amp.  We both have similar
amps in terms of quality and expense.  I bought a 100 GBP record cleaning
machine.  Now I buy records for 1 GBP (yes "one") from the local second-hand
record shop.  He buys CD's for 15GBP from the high street retailers.  With a
bit of careful cleaning and general handling care, he thinks my records
sound better than his CD's.  Not only do these old vinyl things SOUND
better, they are also CHEAPER !!!

> As for Mp3s - I'm not going to pretend that they sound great.  I hate
> being able to hear artifacts when there's a lot of stuff going on in the
> 10K and up range.  But let's face it, it's convienent.  There's LOADS of
> indie labels offering Mp3s of bands that most people wouldn't be able to
> hear.  And then selling their records on 180 gram LPs.

Mmmmmm.  I've a few of those 180Gram re-pressings.  Good stuff.

> > Theater/TV, TV is junk food to the mind.
>
> Seriously, I've had enough of undergraduate theater kids (and directors
> that are full professors) ruining well-written plays.  As for TV, while
> it's a highly abused art form, there is good stuff.  I mean, watch Nigella
> Bites (a cooking show on the style network) sometime.  It's all
> soft-focusy and gorgeous.  There *is* good TV out there.

And she's quite soft-focusy and gorgeous (for someone with nearly 20 years
on me, anyway).  And to think, she's the daughter of the UK politician once
famously portraid as "the man with a yoghurt pot on his head" IIRC.  Or was
that Lamont ?  Yes, maybe it was.  Hmm, might have made ass of myself there.
Anyway, he was a UK politician.  Read into that what you will ... !

Welcome to "The List" Andrew, and I hope you can find as much help and
advice in here as I do.

Regards,

Jon