Re: [OM] Lens caps

Subject: Re: [OM] Lens caps
From: "RickM" <zuiko@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 20:34:13 -0700
Thought i'd chime in with my experience here, as it seems to go against the
grain....

I still have my original basic kit (2n, 50/1.4, 28/2, 75-150) purchased
something like 20 years ago in singapore, and never thought about lense
storage issues until it was raised on the list...  the 50/1.4 lived on the
2n in a neverready case, and when not in use the other lenses lived in their
hard cases, with caps, no filters, no silica gel, and either in a backpack
or camera bag, or wherever...  they went through at least 3 monsoon seasons
in asia/southeast asia (where sleeping bag et al were covered in
mould/fungus/green stuff until the sun came out and you could kill it
off)...  the neverready case got tossed after the second monsoon as i didn't
like the shade of green, but the lenses, lens cases, and camera never had a
problem with fungus or anything else...   since then they've spent time in a
lot of other out of the way places with extreme climate conditions, and
treated in the same manner...

Only tlc (tender loving care) they've ever received is the occasional
cleaning with lens cleaning fluid and lens tissue...  never a problem, and i
just checked the lenses again to be certain, and the glass on all of them is
still pristine, and even the 50/1.4 is ex+, both functionally and
cosmetically, and that was the one most used and had no case of its own,
just lived on the camera...

So my experience is that this these babies can take care of themselves very
well, without humidity controlled cabinets, silica gel, etc...  what am i
missing here?

RickM

> G'day Zuiks,
>
> I have a thing about lens caps and I'd be interested to see some comments
in case I've got the wrong slant. A mate of mine who's a keen camera picker
suggested that as the main promoters of fungus were humidity and darkness
the best storage method was to keep lenses in a light, airy cupboard
uncapped. Therefore, the only time I use caps (front nose caps particularly)
is when I've put a few lenses into a bag when going off to take pictures.
I'm following advices from some of our top OM'ers who don't even use UV
filters.