Re: [OM] printer woes

Subject: Re: [OM] printer woes
From: Mike <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 10:43:31 -0700
Chris said:

>At the end of the printer head's run is a little "well" with some=20
>absorbent material.  I think that the print head dumps a little ink=20
>here during the cleaning process.  Obviously this can fill in time. =20
>Try to soak some of the ink up from this well.  Tissue or industrial=20
>paper tissue does best for this.

Yes, I tried to clean up around this well. I use only the OEM Epson cartidges.
The problem was  lint stuck to the nozzles. The paper towel trick worked
perfectly.

davidt said:

>If it is the same as the 600 series:
>
>- - the 'well' is actually a cap which caps the print head when the carriage
>is parked...
>
>- - The cleaning process dumps the ink into a well, & the platen motor
>drives a pump  which draws this waste ink into the waste pad in the
>bottom of the unit. when the printer's 'brain' decides the waste pad is
>full (by counting the number of cleans) the printer stops working...!
>the service manual explains how to change the pad & reset the brain
>(something about hold this button, infuse eye of newt, and turn it on).
>
>- - there is also a little rubber wiper (2 sharp claps!!) blade which is
>at the (I think) far end of the carriage run. When this got covered in
>ink once, the thing would never print without brown or black lines all
>over the page.

David, the 2000p is very similar to what you describe. I cleaned around
the nozzle well and squeezed out the cleaning tab at the far end. I
suspect this tab is designed to clean any lint and crud from the head
but was so saturated with ink that it only added to the problem. I hope
I reinstalled it correctly as the long end appears to be designed to
wick the excess ink down to the lower pad. If I didn't get it right the
ink will end up on my desktop :>(  I saw the tube from the nozzle well
but didn't pursue that deep into the works without the service manual.

By rthe way, I found a Russian site where one can download service
manuals. They are in RAR format however and I don't have the WinRAR
unzipper yet. Any Russian speakers on the list  that might want to check
this out? I can't tell for sure what to download nor the proper file
extention. Looks like the manual for the 2000p is divided into two files
which WinRAR should be able to unzip. But what's with the .exe suffix?
I'm leary of running any unknown .exe

http://narod.yandex.ru/100.xhtml?www.prisall.narod.ru/print/sm/stph2000p.rar.EXE
http://www.rlocman.com.ru/en/out.htm?cg=9&fs=0

mike