Re: Yellowing of radioactive lens elements....Re: [OM] 55/1.2

Subject: Re: Yellowing of radioactive lens elements....Re: [OM] 55/1.2
From: Kennedy McEwen <rkm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2003 12:14:05 +0100
In article , Thomas Haegin <haegint@xxxxxxxxx> writes
I'm wondering if it is to be expected that ALL
radioactive glass Zuiko's will turn yellow eventually?

All of those containing alpha emission radioactive elements in the glass, but that is not all Zuikos, not by a long way.

Also, any glass lens in a highly radiactive environment, such as a nuclear reactor or something, will turn yellow/brown eventually.

As I understand the discussion so far, some people's
early lenses are yellowed, but other were spared the
problem. What would cause one Zuiko to turn yellow but
not the other one?=20

The lens design - the content of radioactive material in the glass.

I would expect radioactive decay should occur in all
of them as a function of time only rather than
external things like environment or geographic region
etc. where it was kept.

Everything else being equal, that is true.
--
Kennedy
Python Philosophers