Re: Yellowing of radioactive lens elements....Re: [OM] 55/1.2

Subject: Re: Yellowing of radioactive lens elements....Re: [OM] 55/1.2
From: whunter <whunterjr@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2003 20:40:24 -0400
I'll try to give some short answers, but want to avoid an endless dialog about what is or is not. A long academic career makes me leery of misquotes in regard to the word "radioactive". I don't need more hate mail in my email box from this site. My prior posts were focused on the problem: 'yellow' lenses and can they be 'cured'.

Established radiation physics and chemistry points to the surface coating(s) - SC/MC - as the 'weakest link', thus providing insight as to whether the yellow can be 'went' by bleaching/oxidation with UV or removed. Susceptibility of the glass to radiation damage is orders of magnitude less than for the organic coatings.