Re: Yellowing of radioactive lens elements....Re: [OM] 55/1.2

Subject: Re: Yellowing of radioactive lens elements....Re: [OM] 55/1.2
From: Kennedy McEwen <rkm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2003 15:14:10 +0100
In article , Thomas Heide Clausen <omlist@xxxxxxx> writes

I read somewhere that strong UV radiation should make the yellowing
disappear. Of course, it was on a Pentax mailing list, and I cannot
find the posting claiming that. Any of you guys out there, skilled in
the issue of radioactive lenses, who can either debunk that or
confirm it as a possibility for such unfortunate lenses.

55/1.2 is a cool lens otherwise, btw....

I can't fully debunk it, but I think it is unlikely, due to the nature of the problem. The yellow is damaged silicon compounds in the glass as a consequence of the radiation and I cannot see any way that exposure to UV would repair this. That said, it isn't something I have tried, so I could be wrong - I just can't visualise a mechanism that would make it work at the moment.

Years ago we used to supply video cameras to the main UK nuclear reprocessing plant for monitoring systems - great business because every six months they had to replace most of the cameras because, amongst other damage, the lenses went brown - and I do mean brown, not pale yellow! If UV exposure would have cured the problem I am sure they would have found it and saved themselves a fortune. ;-)
--
Kennedy
Python Philosophers