Re: [OM] OLYMPUS OM-4 Ti ends at $1,190.00

Subject: Re: [OM] OLYMPUS OM-4 Ti ends at $1,190.00
From: Kennedy McEwen <rkm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2003 15:11:53 +0100
In article , Dick Lague <rlague@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes
I have 3 or 4 of them and an OM4t.  I may want to sell a couple of the OM4s.
Why aren't they worth more?

Apart from whether there is an R in the month, a full moon or any of the other irregularities that drive the price of auctions, the OM-4 is usually cheaper than the Ti because it is older and went through several minor variations before Olympus finally got it right.

The electrical variations are listed at:
http://olympus.dementia.org/Hardware/OM-4_circuits.html
and amount to 4 versions in common existence and a fifth which is much rarer. There were also a number of minor mechanical piece part changes too.

Early OM-4s ate batteries at a ridiculous rate - about a set every few weeks to months if left in the camera. In the latter versions, the current consumption when everything has powered down should be no more than 10microamps, which is the same as the OM-4Ti. Clearly not everyone has access to a microammeter to check this but there are several tests to identify which version you have and these are listed at the end of the circuit description page above. The simplest is to check if the battery check LED and buzzer switch off after around 30sec.

If you have the low drain version then add this information to your ad (together with the evidence and possibly a link to the reference page) and you might increase the value by eliminating the element of doubt from potential buyers.

When I was considering an OM-4 to replace my faulty one (which I had repaired instead) a month or two back, I asked several sellers to run a few of these tests on the camera they had for sale to try to establish that it was a low drain version before bidding. Some of the responses were "illuminating"! :-)
--
Kennedy
Python Philosophers