[OM] ( OM ) lens / camera operation and sharpness of the image on film.

Subject: [OM] ( OM ) lens / camera operation and sharpness of the image on film. (long)
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2003 22:13:27 +1200
Hi,

I almost NEVER watch TV except for the 6.55 pm weather forecast and
sometimes the 6 pm news.  Tonight I went into the family room and there
was something on - I glanced it and asked "What's this rubbish you're
watching - looks like a clone of "Home Alone" ".

But to be sociable for a change I sat and watched the remaining 3/4. And
enjoyed it. What was it? "Home Alone" Version #3. Parts were funny despite
being 900redictable.

I think I've learned a few things from Walt already this month. (Curmudgeon
training, in case you haven't guessed).

Anyway, during the afternoon and during the advert breaks I did some
catching up on numbering my print negative / prints. So happens I'm several
score films behind in this. My bad.

And I saw again some of the shots that caused me some agony over the last
18 - 24 months.

Zuiko 100/2 shots that should have been tack sharp but were not despite
using a tripod and OM4T self-timer and all that brings with it.  35~105 shots
that were lousy and some that were not. Same lens.

It is difficult to put a finger on what has contributed to the few sharp shots
have.

Certainly, some of the best have been when the camera is on my heavy
tripod and it is weighed down well. By a heavy hand or some other
substantial weight. (Gitzo Studex 320, with Manfrotto 3047 & 3-way pan/tilt
head and quick release plate). Weighs 9 1/2 lbs (4.25 kg), but that is not
enough, and for my TOPE self-portrait I added about 20kg extra weights and
that certainly helped stabilise it. Or when I have clamped the camera onto a
fence-post, concrete abutment or something similarly attached to father
earth, using a firm hand.

One landscape series I took using the Gitzo at full stretch and no extra
weights was a real disappointment. I had to use full stretch (about 2 metres)
to look over an obstacle. Clearly, without extra weight, this tripod, stiff and
all
as it is, is not stiff enough to counteract the vibration of an OM system.

But not always is a tripod needed. A recent series I took of relatives after a
restaurant Sunday lunch as we strolled along the Sumner beach promenade,
came out very well;  and without the test of enlargement seem sharp.. All
hand-held. Zuiko 35~70 at 70mm.

When I look at the results, I seem to have made them with relatively few of
my many lenses. The best seem to be

Zuiko 24/2.8 seems sharp but I must test its results by enlargement.
Zuiko 40mm bought here about 15 years ago - but not sharp hand-held in my
hands. Needs weighted tripod for me.
Zuiko 35~70 bought on eBay for USD33 from a pawn shop in Illinois. My
second of this breed. Seems to be a cracker.
Zuiko 35~105 I bought NIB about 23 years ago. Variable results recently but
I have had good hand-held shots 5 years ago. Yet last year to took at least 1
good shot handheld (see the TOPE "Old" exhibit) the main fault of which
turns out to be that I focussed about 2 cm in front of the main features of the
shot, thus rendering the most sensitive parts slightly out-of-focus. As far as
can tell from a critical examination of an enlargement.
Zuiko 100/2; the problem child. Has very narrow DOF even at f/11. At 0.7
metres, at f/11, the DOF is only about 1cm. The shot taken with this that I'm
most proud of was hand-held.
Zuiko 200/4; bought this Xmas from a NZ repairman who did a CLA on it prior
to sale. For about USD 57. With a tripod it seems sharp.
Zuiko 300/4.5 used with a Bogen long lens support, tripod & mirror & shutter
& aperture pre-fire etc. And weights on the tripod.
The jury is still out on my Zuiko MIJ 50's, my Panagor 55/2.8 macro.
I think the Tokina ATX 24-40 is sharp as it is reputed to be but I have not
made critical tests.
The Samyang 18-28 is OK at the best aperture, on a tripod etc. Stands up to
enlargement within the range of the Pop Photo tests.

So I'm still not sure how I personally can ensure sharp shots every time. I
suspect I'm not getting subjects accurately in focus. Only sometimes can I
hand-hold and get sharp results -  even with timing the shutter release
between breaths etc..

None of my shots seem as sharp as that one that Daniel (Danrich) drew our
attention to a couple of days ago taken with the Nikon D100 and the ??
Tokina lens - the birthday shot of that little boy. And shots that several list
members have taken and scanned.

The only thing I have decided during this review is that I have to take all the
precautions double and check them, and try as hard as I can to make the
system rock-solid.

My wife says that the sharpness of her result don't bother her too much - all
she wants is memories (a bit late for that now !!).

Brian.