Re: [OM] ( OM ) lens / camera operation and sharpness of the image on fi

Subject: Re: [OM] ( OM ) lens / camera operation and sharpness of the image on film. (long)
From: iwert <zuiko@xxxxx>
Date: Sat, 09 Aug 2003 13:29:34 +0200
Hello Brian,

I had the same problem. Since I am using my OM-3Ti more then the OM-4Ti I
solved my sharpness problem substantially, I am only using hand-held, so no
tripods, except for architecture shots.

I now almost always set a shutter speed of 1/125 for the 21 - 40mm - 50mm
range, 1/250 or above for 90mm. This way I can get really very sharp
pictures with the 40mm, 50mm 1.4, 90 zuiko and the 35-80 zuiko zoom. Next to
that I try to use as much as possible the middle apertures: f5.6-f8. When
there is too much light (WHAT A SUMMER!) I use the ND2/4 or polarizer to
reduce light and enhance colors. This way my pictures are mostly very sharp.
I have some shots on velvia 50 on which you can clearly see small flower
details from about 8m distance (in reality).

Before I liked to shoot wide open or at 1/30 or even 1/60. But I was
dissapointed about the scharpness. Turning to manual helped me, and I think
when going back to auto I'll remember some basic rules. And another thing:
when I feel there is not the right light, too much or too dark, I simply
don't take the picture anymore. I have become more patient and demanding for
light circumstances, almost only shoot early morning or early evening, not
around noon.

Hope this can be some help,

Iwert.