Re: [OM] Photographing the Concorde in the UK before it's too late....

Subject: Re: [OM] Photographing the Concorde in the UK before it's too late....
From: "Julian Davies" <julian_davies@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 22:11:49 +0100
Hi Chris.

Not so much active research, more too much time working / living (weekdays)
in the area.
While it's true that aircraft land / take off into wind, at Heathrow they
are constrained by a change ends twice a day rule, and a swap of left and
right runways as well. This is done to spread the noise around, but since
the residents of Slough have less clout than the residents of Kensington,
the prevailing South Westerly is used as an excuse to schedule the busy
times for landings over the city and takeoffs over Berkshire. Can change
when HM is in residence. Since the prevailing winds aren't strong, it
doesn't make much difference.
When the winds get strong, life gets interesting. sometimes they use the
cross runway which is seriously shorter than the other two. I worked in an
office where it seemed like the planes were falling off the roof past the
window when they did that!

Julian