Re: [OM] Photographing the Concorde in the UK before it's too late....

Subject: Re: [OM] Photographing the Concorde in the UK before it's too late....
From: Roger Wesson <roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 16:06:24 +0100
        (i)   where a good spot for photographing the concorde in approach
              or take-off would be?

Well, the ideal spot would be the viewpoint on top of the Queen's Building, but as far as I know this is closed due to security concerns and does not look like re-opening any time soon. Other possibilities are various car parks near the airport, but I remember when I went there about three years ago there were signs up on the roofs saying viewing was absolutely prohibited. Didn't deter groups of photographers and planespotters but these days they might enforce things a bit more.

        (ii)  the chances of BA responding positively to my request?

Hmm, stranger things have happened but I wouldn't say the chances are terribly high! Something else possibly worth doing is contacting BAA (British Airport Authority) who own Heathrow, and see if they might be at all helpful.

        (iii) someone who might help to make (ii) happen (an insider,
              perhaps?)

Not got any shady contacts I'm afraid!

        (iv)  the chances of being stamped as terrorist and dragged
              into the back of the airfield to be shot by over-paranoid
              airport authorities, for carrying a camera around in a
              photogenic spot which happens to be in the proximity of
              Heathrow airport?

I think if you were on a car park roof, next to the big signs that say 'Do Not Look At Anything From Here' you might have a chance of getting rumbled, but outside the airport I'd think you'd be in less danger of arrest and deportation!

        (v)   any fellow zuikoholics, which might be interrested in pursuing
              this, making it a ZA meeting?

Yeah, I would definitely be up for an airport expedition. I did photograph concorde years ago, but don't have the slides because they were for use in a book and weren't returned to me, so it would be good to get Concorde on film before it disappears for ever.

Ohh, and if anyone has a spare concorde ticket available, then email
me for an address to where you can send it for "safe disposal" :)

Oh yes, of course I've got one!  Will let you know the details off-list :))

Roger