Re: [OM] [OT] Olympus Stylus Question

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Olympus Stylus Question
From: clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2003 08:36:17 -0500
Not all things are equal, of course.  Don't forget that these are
happy-snap cameras, built for convenience, not performance.  Sure, you
may occasionally get lucky and get a superior image with one -- good
enough to enlarge, sometimes! -- but chances are most of what you'll get
will be barely acceptable, if that.  And performance varies from camera
to camera, even of the exact same model -- one is capable of exceptional
performance, the next (ten!) marginal.  So camera for camera, don't
expect them to compete with an SLR!

That having been said, for durability and reliability, I'd lean toward
Olympus' Epic line with one exception -- given the choices, I'd steer
clear of the Epic Zoom 80.  It's cheap for a reason -- basically, a
throw-away.  But I can count the number of Epic Zoom 115's I've had come
in for service on one hand!  Same for the 170's, but they're still
relatively new, and I have no feedback on performance.

Camera for camera, the Stylus Zoom models come in a distant second.
Sure, they work, and some work well, but for my money, I'd get a camera
that doesn't break so often.