Re: [OM] Cleaning Old Price Tag Goo Off Body

Subject: Re: [OM] Cleaning Old Price Tag Goo Off Body
From: "RickM" <zuiko@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 21:06:22 -0700
Thanks all for the recommendations on getting the old, embedded, remnants of
a price sticker off the XA11 flash, and thought i would report back...

I picked up eucalyptus oil, 1000ure, imported from germany (???) made from
aussie eucalypts, at a bed & bath shop near work... $11 for 10ml
(~0.33oz)...  ;)  somehow i'm sure you can get it for a $1 a gallon at the
grocery or hardware store...  ;)  picked up 5oz. (148ml) Ronsonol for about
$2 from walgreen's....

Started with the eucalyptus oil and it worked like a charm... about 4
applications over 30 minutes using a q-tip to apply and tissue to wipe...
it took all the goo off, no damage to the surface of the A11 flash, very
little residue which wiped off easily with a damp tissue... smells nice
too...

For reference i've tried to include all of the recommendations below
(heavily snipped)...

Thanks again for all the advice,

RickM
Bill Barber:
There is a product called Fresh Impression - Glue, Gum & Grease Remover. It
is distributed by National Interchem Corp, 2819 W. Lake St, Chicago, Il
60612.  The stock number is 317.  The directions say it may dull some
plastics.  I don't recall having any problem with it in the past, however
you may

Lama:
I'd try "Goo Gone" instead on the proverbial inconspicuous spot like the
inside of the curve of an A11 (normally hidden).  [While I haven't tested
91 0enatured alcohol on my XA, it left a white residue on some other black
plastic from that era.]

Andrew:
Eucalyptus oil:  The reason we suggested it is because it is effective, but
much less aggressive on plastics than some petroleum-based cleaners.  I'm
relaying Rosemary's advice here. She has tried almost everything over  the
years in restoring / cleaning old sewing machines, cameras, furniture  etc,
and that is what she has found.  Eucalyptus oil is a volatilized vegetable
matter product. Another suggestion on similar lines is vegetable turpentine
(aka wood turps or rectified turps)

Jim Tempe:
Ronsonol lighter fluid.  Will emulsify all the old caked/hardened/yucked up
adhesive and allow you to
wipe it right off.

Craig:
Lighter fluid!

Walt:
I use Zippo lighter fluid instead of Ronsonol.

Mike:
I use a product called, E-Z Take-Away. Said to be safe on most surfaces and
I haven't had a problem with plastic. I got it from Brodart. It does leave a
slight odor which I don't find offensive.

Donald:
No one has mentioned WD 40.  It works for me every time and does not damage
plastics.  Spray some on a rag and gently rub the spot.  Also good is Pine
Sol cleaner, also safe for plastics.

Gary:
Orange oil.  Completely safe.  Smells good, too.

TMLee:
1    Ronsonol Lighter fluid(let it remain there a while since its stubborn)
2    methylated spirit
3    Goo Gone