[OM] 10D vs Velvia & 4000ED vs microscope

Subject: [OM] 10D vs Velvia & 4000ED vs microscope
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2003 16:58:58 -0400
CH posted his promised 10D vs Velvia shot:

http://www.accura.com.hk/Film-10D.htm

I did an experiment by printing these images on my HP P1100. I chose a resolution number for each image that would yield something close to a 16x24 print. For the 10D that's 132 dpi and for the 4000 dpi Velvia shot it's 225 dpi.

Since the HP P1100 can't print anything substantially larger than 8x10 I clipped an equal 8x10 section from each image at the appropriate resoulution. For the 10D that's a 1320x1056 crop and 2250x1800 for the Velvia. For the Velvia I also created an equal sized but grain scrubbed version using Neat Image. I printed all three.

I can clearly see more detail on the screen in the Velvia image when I blow it up 1:1. The Velvia image also goes a lot further on magnification before it starts to break down into pixellation. However, the 10D is the clear winner when comparing the printed images at an equivalent size of 16x24. It simply looks better because of the lack of grain. The Neat Image version looks better than the original scan because the grain has been cleaned up. However, the cleaning has removed significant detail in the foliage so that the 10D exhibits more detail in the foliage than the cleaned Velvia.

My better half has also observed the output and immediately chose the 10D image. These images are available for the asking. The 10D image is 491 KB, the filtered Velvia is 1060 KB and the unfiltered Velvia is 1669 KB. Note the other advantage. The best looking printed image is also the smallest.

Chuck Norcutt
Woburn, Massachusetts, USA