Re: [OM] Old OM lenses and E-1

Subject: Re: [OM] Old OM lenses and E-1
From: Jay Maynard <jmaynard@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2003 16:15:01 -0500
On Sat, Jun 28, 2003 at 03:46:19PM -0700, Richard F. Man wrote:
> At 06:37 AM 6/28/2003 -0500, Jay Maynard wrote:
> >There's only one problem with this: If I have to replace all of my OM lenses
> >anyway, I can freely replace them with Canon, Nikon, Sigma, and so on. I
> >have no particular incentive to replace them with Olympus 4/3 lenses.
>
> Brand royalty! Despite started with a Nikon, and got a Pentax for a period,
> and currently using a Leica along with my OMs, I have a soft, irrational
> spot for the OM. Probably why I am a Zuikoholic :-)

I do as well. I've been an OM user since I was 15. Right now, I've got a
reasonably extensive collection of bodies, Zuikos, and other, arguably
lesser, lenses, as well as other stuff like motor drives and flashes.

It's all sitting on the shelf, aside from one OM-2000 and 24/2.8 that my
roommate is using for a year-long project. In the meantime, I've run off a
couple thousand pictures with my E-10 so far this year. (If you're
interested in looking at some of them, check out
http://www.conmicro.cx/penguicon2003, http://www.conmicro.cx/siouxland2003,
http://www.conmicro.cx/waterloo2003, and
http://www.conmicro.cx/audreyandpaulwedding .) Most of those are pictures I
wouldn't choose for a portfolio, but I put them up anyway in case the
subjects like them.

For what I'm interested in shooting, and how, it's becoming increasingly
clear that digital is the way for me to go. I've found that being able to
blast away without having to worry about how many pictures are left on the
current roll of film is liberating. Yes, I may come home from an event with
1141 pictures (as I did from the last faire I went to), but the chances of
having one, or several, real keepers in there is higher.

I'd dearly love to be able to use all that fantastic Zuiko glass on a
digital body. It's clear, though, that Olympus is not interested. I have to
start all over. Since I do, I'm not constrained in what I can consider:
since my considerable OM investment is of no help, it does not influence my
future choice.

I originally bouht my first OM-1 because I loved the way it handled. Cameras
are one of the two things I can name where how it feels in your hand is the
overriding consideration. I'd love to handle an E-1 so I can get the feel of
it. I'd also love to put a 10D through its paces, as well. (Even though
there's an OM adapter available, I don't anticipate keeping any Zuikos to
use with it, with one or two possible exceptions, like the 50/2 macro.) I
might also consider a Nikon digital as well, especially since my father has
a Nikon system he's considering getting rid of. Do they have a body in the
same price range?

> So the E-1 is top of my list, partially because of its features, and
> partially because it has Zuiko Digital Lens.... yes irrational....

I'll certainly give the E-1 a good hard look before I buy, but not because
of brand loyalty - for Olympus has shown me none. Rather, I'll consider it
because I know Olympus pays a lot of attention to handling and
ease-of-operation issues, which are significant to me, and because I know
the quality will be high.