[OM] Kodak, Olympus and digital OM bodies!

Subject: [OM] Kodak, Olympus and digital OM bodies!
From: "Fast Primes" <fast_primes@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2003 23:08:18 -0400
While I wish them luck, I don't really feel the Kodak/Olympus "new format" will succeed! Regretfully, Kodak has had a habit of spewing out "new" formats that simply die on the vine. Recall the 126 film cartridge and then APS. Then note how blindingly fast, digital photography is evolving. Pentax is about to release what it calls the lightest digital SLR todate "*ist" or some such. Within 2 years, we can expect to see the major players offering compact, full frame DSLRs for 2K or less. I'm afraid Olympus is hitting too close to the size/functionality of the compact digital P&S cameras that are wiping out the lower tier of 35mm film photography.

On the other hand, I'm certain that some third party manufacturers (most probably Cosina), will soon (within 2 years) start making digital cameras in all the major 35mm mounts. Within 5 years, such "retro" digital cameras should be full frame AND cheap! While they won't have the razzle/dazzle of AF and so forth, they will give use of old legacy lenses a new and convenient lease on life. Leica themselves, will do it for their M and R mounts, and Contax for the G mount.

fast_primes