RE: [OM] Kodak, Olympus and digital OM bodies!

Subject: RE: [OM] Kodak, Olympus and digital OM bodies!
From: "Fast Primes" <fast_primes@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 09:55:37 -0400
Well George, I DID say I wished them luck! I did't realize that Fuji was also part of this consortium. An additional advantage over introducing a new film format occurs to me--namely there is no need for the development of an external, widespread infrastructure to accompany the introduction of a new digital format, that had been required in the past for a film format.

As for Cosina, yes, I knew the OM2000 was a fragile piece of junk. I had Cosina's/Canon T60 before and had it fail on me. That's also why I passed on their new rangefinder bodies, opting for an old but incredibly well built Canon 7 RF body instead. But Cosina can make world class stuff when it wants to. Note the Leica screw mount lenses that it has poured out in the past few years--some of which beat the best of the German offerings. The $400 15F4.5 mm wide-angle, just one of many examples, is BETTER than the $5,000(?) Zeiss 16F8.0 Hologon. I'm sure they can do the same in digital cameras IF they so choose.

The new Pentax digital SLR (which I was referring to) is not out yet.

Anyway, the market will determine the success or failure the the new format and Olympus system. Let us merely relax, watch, wait and see!

fast_primes

From: ganderson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Fast Primes said:
"
While I wish them luck, I don't really feel the Kodak/Olympus "new =
format"=20
will succeed!=20
"
You forgot Fuji.=20

"
Regretfully, Kodak has had a habit of spewing out "new"=20
formats that simply die on the vine. Recall the 126 film cartridge and =
then=20
APS.=20
"
Just about every camera and film maker supported the APS format.=20

"
Then note how blindingly fast, digital photography is evolving. Pentax=20
is about to release what it calls the lightest digital SLR todate "*ist" =
or=20
some such.=20
"
The *ist has been on the market for months.  It's just another =
compromise design.

"
Within 2 years, we can expect to see the major players offering=20
compact, full frame DSLRs for 2K or less.=20
"
Hmmm ... 2 years,huh?  Olympus has exactly this product now. Have you =
heard? It's called the E-1.  If by full-frame you mean that the lens is =
designed for optimum performance across the entire Imaging sensor and =
doesn't waste 200r so to distortion and vignetting?  Or that it's a =
full 'frame-transfer' CCD device which makes for faster data movement, =
more continuous shots in a row (12 at ANY resolution as compared to 9 at =
lower resolutions only for the NikCan competition),  much better =
signal-to-noise ratio, ...?
Oh, did u mean full 35-mm frame? Why?  To use the existing lenses?  But =
what if you could get better perfomance with a smaller system?  If I =
were a young photographer starting out these days, I'd be looking real =
hard at this E-1 system.  It's got everything but the larger size/weight =
needed to do 35mm. =20
Did u see the comparison between the E-1, 10D and D100 for size and =
weight with comparable zoom lenses? (Well sorta comparable as the Zuiko =
Digital (ZD?) was 2/3 stop faster than the other 2.) The Olympus was =
smaller and appx 1 pound lighter than either of the NikCans. In fact it =
was between 20 and 30 0ghter and the lens was faster.  And the =
performance will be *at least* as good as either, probably better than =
both. Don't you think these are pretty fair advantages this system has?  =

The only disadvantage is - you gotta buy new lenses. No gettin around =
it.  Newbies won't care. Long-time 35mm guys like me, will care. But =
I've been looking for the best way to get into digital considering =
price/performance/capability and this looks like it to me at this point. =
 I'll wait a bit for the price to come down and I'll sell some of my =
existing 35 and maybe 645 gear to move into the E-system.=20
And you mentioned Cosina will be making cheap digital bodies?  Would you =
want one of those? Like the OM-2000 vs the OM-2 or 4?  Absolutely no =
comaprison in terms of quality.  The E-1 has fantstic build quality =
according to the 3 or 4 reviewers who've used them.
And wait til u see the lenses Tamron, Tokina et al will design for the =
4/3 systems.=20
I believe this system is a winner. It looks that way now for sure.  =
Competition won't stand still though.  Course, they're invited to the =
party too and if Olympus starts selling this stuff, watch how fast =
NikCan will join the fray.  Then u could pick and choose beteen Nikon, =
Canon, Olympus, Fuji lenses, bodies and maybe other components.  And =
they would all work with each other.  Tell me that ain't the best of all =
worlds?=20
I for one hope it does succeed.  It's a win-win for everybody if the =
other guys jump in.  It's a win for Oly, Kodak and Fuji alone if they =
don't.=20

George