[OM] Oly E-1

Subject: [OM] Oly E-1
From: Stephen Scharf <scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 20:23:24 -0700

[mailto:owner-olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] Im Auftrag von Jan Sturm (GMX)
Gesendet: Dienstag, 24. Juni 2003 11:56

Betreff: [OM] E1 first thoughts

My Opinion: The Olympus E-System is usable at the "Prosumer" level, but=20
there are certain areas you will not want to go to with the E1.=20
Hopefully this will improve over time so that when an E2 / E3 becomes=20
available, the system will have matured to the level the current OM=20
System is at right now.

I know it's hard and in a nutshell, here's why:

The better the Image Sensors get (higher pixel rates, better density,
etc.) the more data you have to store for a single image. To achieve
current Image Quality available on 24x36mm silver based film, we are
talking somewhere between 30 and 200 Megabytes PER FRAME. In addition,
people want quick sequence capability (5 frames per second is the set
standard) and to equal what you can have with current analogue tech, you

Jan,

The C*n*n 1Ds currently surpasses 35 mm film for image quality and resolution.

If you read the Feb or March issue review in Shutterbug, Jay Abend says that the 1Ds surpasses the quality of 4X5 sheet film. He's a pro that works with both, and did side by side comparisons...check out the article. Also, Pop Photo demonstrates around the same time a comparison where the 1Ds clearly smokes 100 ISO print film for resolution.

-Stephen Scharf

--

2001 CBR600F4i - Fantastic!