Re: [OM] E1 first thoughts

Subject: Re: [OM] E1 first thoughts
From: Gregg Iverson <golftooter@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 21:54:40 -0400
John H wrote:
All these "FACTS"! What I want to know is whether the latest digital
wizzbang will lead one to become a beter photographer. Like assuming that
the latest word processor is going to make little Suzie a winning author!

A few weeks ago I got my hands on an E-10 to shoot to my hearts content for five days. I was given daily assignments for a daily newspaper and then also allowed to rove.

My observations were that because of the ease of taking a photo - no unease over whether the shot had turned out before it was developed - made me have a higher success rate because I could get immediate feedback about my shots. I also found it was very forgiving if I didn't expect great quality, much more forgiving than film. I was shooting mostly inside, and discovered that I had a higher success rate if I ignored the flash. Because of the instant gratification (I would check the screen when starting to shoot in a new location to be sure the shots turned out as planned), I was not afraid to take lots of shots. Portraits were especially enjoyable. No flash meter - so what? Take a photo and check the lights, if you don't like what you see, move a light.

A good word processor might make Suzie a winning author if it makes it easier for her to practice and edit without the fear of having to retype the whole page or document. It allows her the freedom to experiment much more quickly and often in a short amount of time.

My 2 cents worth

Gregg