Re: [OM] E1 first thoughts

Subject: Re: [OM] E1 first thoughts
From: Skip Williams <om@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 12:29:24 -0500
Resolution:  5MgPx is good enough for most users, including professionals.  Big
slideshow users, who are becoming a dying breed, will have to use film.  The
disadvantages of >5-6 MgPx are speed of capture/storage and space requirements,
so I'd expect to see advances in improving the quality of the 5-6 MgPx images
(e.g., lower noise at high ISOs) and their capture speed.  Canon has already
addressed some of this by it's new, custom processor.

Shift?  50/1.2?  21mm?  Those are specialized lenses and not ones that I'd
expect any maker to bring out at the opening of a new system.  Face it, 950f
the photogs use zooms for most of their work now.  Perhaps the wide angle would
be next?

Shooting speed would be nice, but not paramount.  Most non-sports pros don't
really use 5fps anyway.  Perhaps the technology driving the decision to stick
with 3fps was too expensive?

Sensor size/density - The Canon 1Ds equals 35mm film for anyting up to 16x20 or
20x24, according to some pretty knowledgable pros.  That's 11 MgPx.  Much more
than that or the 14 MgPx Kodak and the film grain starts to interfere with most
resolution issues.  The Canon images are essentially grainless; pretty amazing!
 If only it wasn't $8,000.

The net-net is that cameras are designed for what sells, and the ultimate
flexibility of a full system isn't necessary or economically feasible for any
new maker to put up these days.  They have to deliver what 900f their market
uses, and that isn't ultra-high resolution, fast motors, or exotic lenses.

Skip

Please reply to [skipwilliams at pobox.com]
Direct responses to the email address on the header may get lost