Re: [OM] Oly E-1

Subject: Re: [OM] Oly E-1
From: "Jan Sturm \(GMX\)" <jan.sturm@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 06:55:34 +0200
Stephen,

when we are talking prints (what size, btw. ?) that may be correct. As soon as we are talking slides, I beg to differ. Imgine projecting a 5 Mpixel image in an auditory to let's say 16*12 Meters size (quite common in university settings or for commercial slideshows). Apart from not beeing able to find a 5 Mpixel beamer, you would go exposing real slides from you digital pictures. That quality just doesn't cut it, sorry - it basically relates to a single pixel every 0.625 cm when using raw image format at 2560x1920 pixels - don't get me wrong, but people can actually see that stuff !

Why do you think there are things like the digital backs made by sinar that produce in Excess of 20 MPixel for a single image (raw data per frame is up to half a GIGAbyte !!!) - Pros don't buy that stuff just for fun.

When we are talking 9x13 or 10x15 cm prints, even 2 Mpixel is ok - but what do I do with that one special once in a lifetime shot I'd like to have enlarged to A4 or A3 poster size ?

Don't get me wrong - the E1 is a cool tool for certain areas - but as the word goes, if all the tools you've got is a hammer, every problem turns into a nail. I prefer my leathermanlike OM system tools - at least for the time beeing....

Bests,
Jan