Re: [OM] Oly E-1

Subject: Re: [OM] Oly E-1
From: Stephen Troy <sctroy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 09:10:24 -0400
From: Stephen Scharf <scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [OM] Oly E-1

>If you read the Feb or March issue review in Shutterbug,
>Jay Abend says that the 1Ds surpasses the quality
>of 4X5 sheet film. He's a pro that works with
>both, and did side by side comparisons...

As did we.  His conclusions are not quite accurate.

We compared a 1Ds, a PhaseOne H20/RZ67 combo and 120 film shot through the
same RZ67 on a typical layout for a catalog shot - a dozen of the same type
of knit shirt in different colors stacked up.  In catalog work such as
this, it is very important to show the "weave" of the fabric - the details
have to be clearly seen.  The results:

1Ds - although colors were accurate, the very bad moire patterns that
resulted made the images unusable for this type of work.
PhaseOne/RZ67 - colors were great and moire patterns *almost* gone - images
were useable.  Image quality made the 1Ds shots look "out of focus" when
compared side-by-side.
120 Film/RZ67 - colors also great and no moire pattern at all (no doubt due
to random placement and orientation of silver halide crystals, unlike the
neat rows and columns of digital sensors).

While this isn't the typical use of most digital cameras (although it
actually is for the PhaseOne back), it does clearly show that the 1Ds does
NOT surpass 4x5 or 120 or even 220 film in its ability to accurately
capture the required image.

Steve Troy

ps - the 1Ds works great with Zuikos!