Re: [OM] Fireworks

Subject: Re: [OM] Fireworks
From: Johnie Stafford <jms@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: 21 Jun 2003 05:39:12 -0500

 jal> At 07:56 PM 6/20/03, Johnie wrote:
 >> I'm going to an all day music festival next weekend and they are going
 >> to end the day with a fireworks display. I've always wanted to try to
 >> shoot one but I want to get some advice on how to get the best
 >> results.
 >>
 >> Here's my kit: OM-2n, OM-4T, Tamron 35-80/2.8-3.8, Tamron
 >> 60-300/3.8-5.4, and if it gets here in time, a new (to me) Tamron
 >> 300/2.8, and a Velbon tripod. (I can see this expanding a lot hanging
 >> around this bunch!)
 >>
 >> Any suggestions on the best film, technique, etc.?

 jal> For aerial displays (can also be used for tight shots of ground
 jal> displays against near black background)
 jal> 1.  Use ISO 100 film.  (slower actually works better)
 jal> 2.  A 35-105mm lens is ideal as it allows adjusting focal length
 jal>      (I recommend trying your Tamron 35-80 first).
 jal> 2.  Use tripod, cable release and mount camera vertically.
 jal> 3.  Focus at "infinity"
 jal> 4.  Exposure is set with aperture only and is determined by film speed:
 jal>      ISO  25 -  50 -- f/5.6
 jal>      ISO  64 - 125 -- f/8
 jal>      ISO 160 - 200 -- f/11
 jal>      ISO 320 - 400 -- f/16
 jal> 5.  Aim in general direction of aerial bursts.
 jal>      Check composition using first couple of bursts.
 jal> 6.  Set shutter on "B"
 jal> 7.  Open shutter when you hear the "whump" of an aerial rocket launch.
 jal>      Hold shutter open until you get one to four bursts,
 jal>      but no longer than 8 seconds.
 jal> 8.  Wind film and wait for next opportunity.

Thanks for the info John. Any film type that works better for this
than others?

Johnie