Re: [OM] Fireworks

Subject: Re: [OM] Fireworks
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2003 06:48:49 -0500
As you will be using cameras which feature auto mode, you might try just using that mode and see what happens. If you are filling the frame reasonably (for which a moderate telephoto lens works nicely), f8 and f11 are good stops. I have had good luck with this method using OM-2S, OM-4, and OMPC in auto mode.

Take a small flashlight so that you can occasionally check your setup. I once had two cameras set up on tripod: OM-1 with 85/2 and ASA 100 print film and OM-2S with 85-250/5 with ASA 100 slide. I had the OM-1 on bulb and the OM-2S on auto. I was using the OM-2S to give me the exposure time both for itself and for my bulb exposure. To get what I thought was the same stop for each, I stopped both lenses down all the way and then backed them off to f8. Except that I forgot that the 85-250 goes to f32! I'm a lucky Iowa boy and discovered that f11 worked pretty well for the slides and the print film took the extra stop without a problem.

Joel W.