Re: [OM] Re: Fireworks

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Fireworks
From: Johnie Stafford <jms@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: 21 Jun 2003 05:34:01 -0500
>>> On Fri, 20 Jun 2003 22:15:58 -0700, Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:

 >> From: Johnie Stafford <jms@xxxxxxxxx>
 >>
 >> I'm going to an all day music festival next weekend and they are going
 >> to end the day with a fireworks display. I've always wanted to try to
 >> shoot one but I want to get some advice on how to get the best
 >> results.

 js> 1) Get a small bit of flat black matte board -- about 4" square
 js> works nicely.

 js> 2) Use a tripod, and frame up your shot on some of the early ones.

 js> 3) Set the shutter to "B", and open it with a cable release.

 js> 4) Hold the matte board in front of the lens until you are ready
 js> to "open" the shutter for an exposure -- a firework is about to
 js> be launched. Be careful not to bump the camera with the matte
 js> board.

 js> 5) "Open" the shutter by moving the matte board away from the lens.

 js> 6) "Close" the shutter by moving the matte board back in front of
 js> the lens.

 js> 7) After perhaps 3-6 fireworks go off this way, close the real
 js> shutter via the cable release, advance the film, and repeat.

 js> The purpose of the matte board pseudo-shutter is to keep the
 js> ambient light in between fireworks from fogging the film, so you
 js> can maintain a nice black background.

 js> Here's an example of this technique:

 js>   <http://www.bytesmiths.com/Art_Gallery/image.php?by_ID=794637>

 js> I just put this image into production this week, and sold two
 js> already!

 js> Requisite OM content: above image taken with an OM2n and
 js> 75-150/f4.

Great shot! Thanks for the info on the "manual shutter" as well. What
film did you use for this?

Johnie