[OM] OM-2 meter problem(?) (help!)

Subject: [OM] OM-2 meter problem(?) (help!)
From: Kurt Klein <acetone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 21:15:05 -0700 (PDT)
I could count on one hand the number of times I've used the Auto function
on my OM-2 during the ~10 years I've owned it.

I was trying it out today while taking a hike by photographing water
running over a rock.  Using a 50/3.5, I manually set the exposure to f/22
at 1/4s and took a picture.  Then I switched to Auto.  The needle was at
~1/125s, but I could hear the shutter snap at the 1/4s speed, so I think
it made the right exposure.

Why doesn't the needle reflect the shutter speed that the camera will use?
This phenomenon occurs even when the aperture is completely open, so I'm
pretty sure it has nothing to do with the preview.
And why does rotating the shutter speed ring affect the needle in Auto
mode?

Thanks,
Kurt